You just bought a black Contender Performance hat, but getting a fitted cap can be a pain. You may like the style and the design but getting that perfect fit can take time. You need to break in a hat to fit your head and bend the brim just right. As a fishing hat and apparel store, we know all too well that the last thing you want to do is mess around with your hat instead of focusing on your next catch. To make this process a little easier, we at Gillz Gear are giving you some simple tips on how to break in a fishing hat to get the perfect fit.
Breaking in a Fishing Hat: Here’s How
Breaking in your new blue Patch Snap hat may take some time, but you will be thankful that you did when you are zooming by on your boat or chasing after your rambunctious toddler.
- Wear Your Hat Everywhere. The first option and the easiest is to wear the hat as much as possible right away. The sweatier you get doing this the better, so wear it on a run or to the gym and then keep it on after. Although you could potentially wear this hat almost 24/7, it will still take some time until you break in the hat exactly to your liking.
- Add Some Wear and Tear. While this may sound a little odd, a good way to break in a hat is to try and give it a little wear and tear. Yes, your hat is brand new, but it is also too rigid. By being a little rough with your new hat instead of careful, the rigidness will soften, and the hat will better conform to the shape of your head.
- Wash Your Hat. Throwing your fishing hat in the washer a few times can help break down the rigid structure. Once the washer is down, throw the damp hat on top of your head and let it dry.
- Use Hot Water. If you are more concerned about breaking in your hat quickly, this technique is a good option. You can soak the parts of the hat you want to soften in hot water for at least 20 minutes then let it dry while you wear it. Hot water may cause some of the color to fade, but it will break in your fishing hat more quickly.
- Shower with Your Hat. Hot water is the quickest way to break in your hat, but if you don’t have the patience to let it soak for an hour, you can take a shortcut. Shower with your fishing hat on and then keep it on as it air dries.
Breaking in a hat may take some time, but once you finally get that perfect fit you will be happy you did. If you are looking for a new hat to break in, check out our selection of men’s fishing hats.